Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A day in the life

Here's a typical day of eating for me.

Breakfast:  I eat breakfast about 1-2 hours after I get up (unless I am in a hurry).  This is a big deal.  In the past, I had to eat breakfast immediately upon arising if I wanted to avoid a migraine.  Now I can wait without any problem.  We typically eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, and occasionally we'll also eat some plain full-fat yogurt with a little fruit, like maybe blueberries (or in Europe, Johannesbeeren!).

Lunch:  If I remember to eat (since I don't generally experience hunger or low blood sugar, I don't always remember!), I usually just scrounge for whatever is around the house.  Boiled eggs, yogurt, cheese, nuts, fruit are all typical.  If I have to eat out of the house, I'll maybe have a hamburger with a lettuce wrap instead of a bun (at for example Elevation Burger or In-N-Out),  a salad at Chipotle or a kebab at a Greek restaurant.

Dinner:  A typical dinner for us is either a small steak or hamburger (about 4 oz, grass-fed) cooked in coconut oil and a whole lot of veggies with a generous portion of butter (preferably Kerrygold).  The veggies are typically broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach, and/or zucchini.  Sometimes we'll add dill pickles or sauerkraut (the real stuff, made with veggies, salt, water, and maybe herbs or garlic, no vinegar or chemicals - we like Bubbies).

Snacks:  I don't snack often, but when I do, it's nuts (Brazil nuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, pecans), yogurt with fruit, a piece of fruit, cheese.

Chocolate:  We always eat a small amount (like a square) of very bitter (72% -87% typically) chocolate each evening.  For those of you that have migraines, this might come as a surprise.  However, I tolerate it very well and it doesn't trigger migraines, even though it would have in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment